I recently took to snacking on chocolates in the afternoons. I’ll usually try to watch what I eat, so snacking on chocolate bars everyday isn’t a very healthy thing to do. But it’s a total different thing if the chocolate is of very good quality, topped with some healthful nuts and fruits. And so, I made these addictive chocolate bark.
This is a super easy treat to make. All you need is some really good chocolates, your favorite dried fruits and toasted nuts and you are good to go. I used my favorite Valrhona Opalys White 33%. The luxuriously creamy taste and silky texture is to die for. But you can use any of your favorite white, milk or dark chocolate. I used premixed dried fruits that consist of both black and golden raisins, cranberries and chopped apricots. For the nuts, I used pistachios for a nice green color and I think it goes really well with white chocolate.
You may have noticed that my white chocolate doesn’t look white… it looks like peanut butter I know. Ok I confessed. I had accidentally caramelized the chocolate by melting it in the microwave. for too long. This may have sounded and looked like a failed attempt but I want to tell you, “caramelized” white chocolate actually taste not bad! If you don’t want your chocolate to have the same fate as mine as if it had gone for a suntan, I suggest you melt them over a pot of simmering water. Safer that way. But you can still melt them in the microwave, just be diligent to watch it every 15 seconds. I left mine inside for more than 30 seconds on high heat and got them all ‘tanned’. But if you like to try some interesting caramelized white chocolate, by all means.
Dried Fruits & Pistachio White Chocolate Bark
300g good quality white chocolate (you can use milk or dark chocolate)
1/2 cup mixed dried fruits (if the fruits are quite big, like apricots, cut them into 1/4 inch size)
1/2 cup pistachios, toasted
- Place a sheet of aluminium foil on a baking sheet, shiny side facing up.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the chocolate and set aside.
3 ways to melt the chocolates:
- To melt the chocolate over simmering water: place the remaining chocolates in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until just melted.
- To melt the chocolate in the microwave: place the remaining chocolates in a microwave-safe bowl and melt over medium-high heat for 15 seconds. Take it out and stir well. Then place it back to the microwave and continue to melt for another 15 seconds. Repeat the process until all the chocolates are melted through. This may take about 2 minutes heating time in total.
- If you want to try caramelizing the chocolates, melt them in the microwave on high heat for 45 seconds. It should be slightly brown. Remove from microwave and stir well. The chocolates may not be entirely melted, place them back to the microwave and turn down the heat to medium-high and melt for another 15 seconds. Repeat the process until all the chocolates are melted through.
- Pour the melted chocolates over the reserved 1/2 cup of chocolates and let it stand for a minute. Stir the chocolates until all are melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolates on the prepared aluminium foil and spread them with a offset spatula to thickness of about 1/4 inch. Scatter dried fruits and pistachios over. Chill in the fridge until firm, about 1 hour.
- Peel off foil. Cut the chocolates into large pieces.
- Serve them chilled.
Store them covered in the refrigerator, for up to 2 weeks.